Exotic experimental recipe for new taste impressions
Although mangos are not a fruit that can be grown in Ontario, it is an important staple in many peoples’ diets. While it is essential to support local Ontario farmers and use local and seasonal produce, it is also important to respect the culinary needs of many cultures. Although the mangos came from a different source, the greens for this salad were purchased at the market.
- 1 large Citrus fruit sectioned
- 1 bunch of leafy greens washed
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, 2 crushed, 1 thinly sliced
- 2 chilis, crushed
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 1 green mango, peeled
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 bunch watercress
- 1 shallot
- 10 sprigs fresh mint leaves
- 10 sprigs fresh cilantro leaves
- 10 sprigs fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp Asian garlic chili sauce
- 4 tbsp grated unsweetened coconut
- 1 Thai pickled lemon, diced
Green Mango Salad Directions
1.Make the pickling liquid: Combine white vinegar, sugar, 2 cloves, crushed garlic, crushed chilis, and crushed lemongrass in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat, transfer to a bowl, and let cool.
2.Slice down either side of the pit of the mango, forming two halves. Thinly slice mango halves lengthwise. Add mango to pickling liquid, and pickle for about 30 minutes.
3.Make the dressing: In a medium bowl, combine Chili sauce, 1 tbsp reserved citrus juice and 1 tablespoon pickling liquid. Whisk in olive oil to emulsify—season with salt and pepper. If too hot, add more pickling liquid.
4. Peel the fruit, cut into sections with each section cut in half (reserve 1 tbsp juice)
5.In a large bowl, mix leafy greens, watercress, shallot, sliced lemongrass, sliced garlic, mint, cilantro, and basil leaves. Add half of the citrus pieces; toss. Add dressing to the salad, and toss.
6.Garnish salad with pickled mango Optional Garnish: remaining citrus sections, 1 tbsp shredded coconut, Thai pickled lemon, remaining cilantro sprigs. Serve immediately.